HANDMADE is what makes our products boutique and special!
Where it all started!
- Our wealth of experience began three generations ago by Violet Platthy, a skilled artist and painter, designing and cutting out by hand her beautiful decorative wooden plates.
- It was Violet who drew the first Australia map puzzle with its interlocking animals while Csilla, her equally talented daughter, added the states on top.
- Their personal story can be found in “The Rocks Paper Scissors” by Sarah Crawford (circa 2012) which takes a beautiful celebratory walk down “The Rocks” memory lane.
- Today, the Australia double layer puzzle is still a bestseller!
Today and into the Future!
- The company is still family owned, certified Made in Australia (No: 7499) and 100% committed to designing and manufacturing in Australia using sustainably sourced materials.
- Our product range has now expanded to include international heritage maps, 3D vertical puzzles and decorative coasters and placemats.
- Assembly and packaging is still done by hand!
- See our stockists list for an outlet near you or visit us online!
Noteworthy Events from the Past!
- Woodencrafts was a founding stall holder at the Rocks Markets.
- One of the first businesses of its kind to use a laser cutter to improve production quality.
- Operated a successful shop in the Darling Harbour precinct in 1988.
- A double page feature showcasing our puzzles in JAL Airlines Winds Magazine (Dec 1989).
More noteworthy Events from the Past!
- The “Oztree Puzzle” was chosen for the Powerhouse Museum toy collection in 1986.
- Woodencrafts received official recognition from Buckingham Palace by way of a thank you letter after Princess Anne was given the same “Oztree Puzzle” to take home as a gift during her visit to the Royal Easter Show in 1988.
Our pledge to you, the Customer!
- We will do our best to provide you with a great customer experience and want you to be 100% happy with your purchase.
- We are happy to receive advice and constructive feedback, via our Contacts page, email or mobile, especially concerning a custom order you might like to place.
Phone: 0402 220 308 (Brian) or 0416 160 661 (Coralie)